SUPERVISOR: Ocean Data Products Program Manager
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) pioneers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. Our scientists explore dynamic ocean systems from marine life to environmental conditions to coastal economies. We infuse our discoveries into the policy arena and design solutions with fishermen and seafood business to protect fishery resources, harvest them responsibly, and market them as premium quality food. We share our discoveries with the public and nurture a culture of leadership in communities that depend on the sea. Our education programs cultivate science literacy and build a foundation of collaborative problem-solving among our next generation of leaders, scientists, citizens, and stewards. Each year, we serve over 25,000 stakeholders from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia.
We are currently seeking a full-time Front-End Web Developer/UX Designer to join our Ocean Data Products (ODP) team.
The ODP team develops and supports web-based software and tools to access data and information about the marine environment. The Front-End Web Developer/UX Designer will bridge the gap between design and technical implementation of consumer facing web applications. The ideal candidate should possess a broad range of skills across all aspects of the web development process, with strong mix of UX design sense, the technical ability to implement through client-side markup and scripting, and the interest and ability to keep up and learn new technologies. This is a full time 12-month position that may be extended based on funding.
The Front-End Web Developer/UX Designer will work closely with the program manager, programmers and designers to produce interactive design and visualization services to meet project needs for both GMRI and external clients in the ocean observing, marine science and fisheries communities. This team shares resources and project management duties as it facilitates and implements distributed data delivery systems to the ocean observing community and stakeholders interested in marine data.
- Work with internal and external clients to gather application functional requirements
- Develop wireframes, story boards and mockups to communicate design ideas with clients, designers, and programmers
- Design functional and appealing user interfaces for consumer-facing web applications and content management systems across platforms (web, mobile)
- Develop and customize application interfaces from client requirements and design mockups
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Develop, deploy and maintain software code through version control systems
- Manage own project work and contribute to team goals and new project acquisition (proposal development, project scoping, etc.)
- Produce and maintain technical documentation for in-house applications (technical source code and end user functionality)
Other General Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance and routine consultation to customers and technical support regarding development functions
- Troubleshoot front-end development issues
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Bachelor’s Degree, Associate’s degree in web development, web design or equivalent; or 3 to 5 years related experience and training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience developing or implementing UI/UX design
- Proficient understanding of concept development, layout composition, site functionality, and navigation.
- Full understanding of web development process, including design, development, and deployment
- Experience with CMS theming and module setup/development (preferably Drupal or Django)
- Proficiency with image editing software (Photoshop)
- Ability to set and work within project timelines and budgets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with distributed team members and clients
- Possess excellent written, verbal and organizational skills, and thrive in a team that manages multiple projects with fixed deadlines
- Ability to work independently and use resources efficiently
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with server-side CSS pre-processing platforms (LESS/SASS)
- Experience with advanced front-end visualization libraries and tools (HighCharts, D3, or similar)
- Working knowledge of database development, relational database design, and database protocols
- Ability to understand and address compatibility issues between different browsers and computing platforms
- Experience developing mobile/touch responsive or platform-specific applications
- Experience with cloud-based virtual server environments
- Experience with open source programming languages (PHP, Python)
- Experience with repository based development, preferably GIT
To apply for this position CLICK HERE to submit cover letter and resume. Application deadline is May 15; application review will begin after May 4. (Note that you will be navigating away from the GMRI website.) Questions should be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, we will not accept resumes sent to this address. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
We are proud to confirm our long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist us in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept strictly confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.