|1994||Cornell University, Agricultural, Resource, and Managerial Economics, Ph.D.|
|1989||National Taiwan University, Agricultural Economics, M.S.|
|1987||National Chung-Hsing University, Applied Economics, B.S.|
| ||Senior Marine Resource Economist, Gulf of Maine Research Institute|
|2011–present||Senior Marine Resource Economist, Gulf of Maine Research Institute|
|2013–present||Graduate Faculty of the Interdisciplinary Doctor of Philosophy, Univ. of Maine|
|2012–present||Adjunct Associate Research Professor, School of Marine Sciences, Univ. of Maine|
|Research Scholar, Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)|
|Visiting Scholar, Southwest Fishery Science Center, National Marine Fishery Service, NOAA|
|Visiting Professor, Dept. of Economics, Univ. of California, San Diego|
|1994-2011 ||Associate Professor (1994-2000), Professor (2000-2011), Director (2003-2006), Institute of Applied Economics, National Taiwan Ocean University|
| || |
- Co-Principal investigator on National Science Foundation (NSF) project under Dynamics of Coupled Couple Natural Human Systems (CNH) Program: Fishscape: Complex Dynamics of the Eastern Pacific Tuna Fishery to explore a fully integrated, geo-spatial model of the international fishery targeting tropical tunas in the eastern Pacific Ocean (EPO) and examining key natural and human linkages among the tuna longline and purse-seine fisheries and integrating them into a quantitative framework that can be used to manage the system for increased sustainability and human benefits.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Aquaculture Economics and Management, International Association of Aquaculture Economics and Management, since 2005; Taiwanese Agricultural Economic Review, Rural Economics Society of Taiwan, since 2004.
- Scientist Delegate from Taiwan to attend the IATTC in 2008-2011; Scientist Delegate from Taiwan to attend the Commission, Stock Assessment Group, Scientific Committee, and Management Procedure Meetings for Commission for Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT) in Korean, US, Australia, Taiwan, and Japan, 2004-2008.
- Executive Committee, International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade, 2000-2004; Scientific Committee, 2008 Conference in Vietnam and 2010 Conference in Montpellier, France.
- Research Award, National Science Council, 1994-95 & 1998-2007, Taiwan; The Honor Society of Agriculture, Gamma Sigma Delta, 1993, Cornell University; First Prize, Master’s Thesis Award, The Li-Ching Foundation, 1988.
- Honors and Invited Speeches:
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Modeling Global Demand for Tunas, CLIOTOP-IMBER Working Group 5, supported by the ANR-Project MACROES and NOAA-NMFS, University of Nantes, France, April 14-15, 2011.
- Lead Organizer to coordinate with Dr. Minling Pan and Dr. Dale Squires to organize an International Workshop on Global Tuna Demand, Fisheries Dynamics and Fisheries Management, sponsor by IATTC and NOAA Fisheries, May13-14, 2010, in the Eastern Pacific Ocean in the IATTC headquarter, La Jolla, California, USA. Media Reports on Dr. Sun’s Research: How to increase the economic value of tuna fishery while maintaining the spawning biomass at a target level, Organization for the Promotion of Responsible Tuna Fisheries (OPRT) Newsletter International. '
- Invited Speaker, Coastal Pelagic Species Fishery - Catch Share Workshop, Sponsored by Pacific States Fishery Management Council, February 2-4, 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Invited Panel of experts, “Workshop to Estimate and Assess Capacity in the Pacific Longline Fleet,” NOAA Fisheries, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2008 and 2009; and "Review and Revision of Assessing Capacity in the Pacific Longline Fisheries," August 24-26, 2009, hosted by Pacific Island Fishery Science Center in Hawaii and Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, CA, NOAA National Marine Fishery Services, NOAA Fisheries, Honolulu, USA.
- Invited Discussant, “Workshop on Rights-based Management and Buybacks in International Tuna Fisheries”, IATTC and the World Bank workshop, University of California, San Diego, 2008.
- Invited Speaker, “Chinese Taipei’s Experience in Managing Fishing Capacity” at the APEC Fisheries Working Group Workshop on Vessel Capacity Management, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2006.
- Invited Speaker, International Workshop on Fishing Vessel and License Buy-Back Programs, March 22-24, 2004, La Jolla, California, sponsored by Southwest Fisheries Science Center and the Office of Science and Technology, NOAA/NMFS; CERUM and Department of Economics, University of California, San Diego, 2004.
Alexandre Aires-da-Silva (Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission), Fu-Sung Chiang (National Taiwan Ocean University), Theodore Groves (Department of Economics, University of California, San Diego), Patrice Guillotreau (Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Sète, France; University of Nantes, France), Samuel F. Herrick Jr. (Southwest Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA), Gakushi Ishimura (Center for Sustainability Science, Hokkaido University, Japan), Makoto P. Miyake (National Research Institute of Far Seas), Mark N. Maunder (Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission), Minling Pan (Pacific Island Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA), Steve Shanks (Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency), Dale Squires (Southwest Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA), Eugene Y. Tsoa (Memorial University of Newfoundland).