Ph.D., Natural Resources, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Dissertation: Marine ecosystem-based management:the interaction of people, nature, and science
Concentration: Resource Ecology, Fisheries and Aquatic Science
Minors: Biometry, Natural Resource Policy and Management
M.S., Natural Resources, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Thesis: Fish Communities of Estuarine Wetlands: Ecological Characteristics and Factors
Influencing their Composition
|1996||B.A., Environmental Science and Policy, Political Science, Duke University, Durham, NC|
Associate Research Scientist, Gulf of Maine Research Institute, Portland, ME
Research Scientist, University of Maine/Gulf of Maine Research Institute, Portland, ME
Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Maine/Gulf of Maine Research Institute, Portland, ME
Research Coordinator, Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, Durham, NH
Graduate Research Fellow, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University
|2004-2006||Consultant, Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment|
|2005||Contractor, New England Fishery Management Council|
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University
John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellow, U. S. Senate Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Oceans and Fisheries, Washington, D. C.
|1999-2000||Graduate Research Fellow, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University|
|1998-1999||Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University|
Guest Lecturer, General Ecology, University of New Hampshire
|2006||Teaching Assistant, Environmental Governance, Cornell University|
|2006||Guest Lecturer, Environmental Governance, Cornell University|
|2006||Guest Lecturer, Quantitative Ecology of Fisheries Resources, Cornell University|
Teaching Assistant, Complex Adaptive Systems in Nature and Society, Cornell University
Grants, fellowships and awards
- Environmental influences on spatial patterns of commercial fishing in New England. $72,170. Northeast Regional Ocean Council, 2014.
- Resilience and adaptation of a coastal ecological-economic system in response to increasing temperature. $1,875,678. NSF Coastal SEES, 2013-2017.
- Contributions to Smelt Research and Analysis Associated with a Multi-State Collaborative to Develop and Implement a Conservation Program for Three Anadromous Finfish Species of Concern in the Gulf of Maine. $14,544. Maine Department of Marine Resources, 2011-2012.
- Establishing Marshes in the Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve as Sentinel Sites for Monitoring Ecosystem Impacts of Climate Change. $71,770. National Estuarine Research Reserve Program, 2010-2012.
- Assessing the Risk of 100-Year Freshwater Floods in the Lamprey River Watershed of New Hampshire Resulting from Changes in Climate and Land Use. $177,815. Cooperative Institute for Coastal and Estuarine Environmental Technologies (CICEET), 2009-2011.
- Defining and Modeling Linkages between Ecosystem Properties and the Abundance and Distribution of Fish Populations. $114,000. National Marine Fisheries Service and Sea Grant Population Dynamics Fellowship, 2003-2006.
- Ecosystem-Based Fisheries Management in the Gulf of Maine: Addressing Scientific and Governance Needs. $10,000. Heinz Scholarship for Environmental Research, 2005-2006.
- John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship. $38,000. New York Sea Grant, 2001.
- Fish Community Structure as a Measure of Ecosystem Integrity for the Hudson River Estuary. $16,000. Hudson River National Estuarine Research Reserve and New York Sea Grant, 1999-2000.
Small grants and awards:
- Travel grant to attend ICES Annual Science Conference, 2013.
- A. Stephen Weithman Best Student Paper in Socioeconomics, American Fisheries Society, 2006.
- Skinner Memorial Award, American Fisheries Society, 2006.
- Andrew W. Mellon Student Research Grant, 2005.
- Harley Cahen Award for innovative research presentation, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University, 2005.
- SeaSpace Scholarship: 2003, 2005.
- Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies research travel grant (Canada), 2005.
- American Fisheries Society Marine Fisheries Section travel grant, 2005.
- Cornell University Graduate School research grant, 2005.
- Cornell University Graduate School conference travel grants: 2001, 2004, 2005.
- Edna Bailey Sussman Fund, 2004.
- National Science Foundation, NATO Advanced Study Institute travel grant, 2003.
- Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies travel grant (Philippines), 2000.