Jeffrey Runge, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Biological Oceanography
Joint Appointment University of Maine School of Marine Sciences
Phone: (207) 228-1652
Contact Jeff at the University of Maine School of Marine Sciences
Jeff came to GMRI in 2006 in joint appointment as a faculty member in the University of Maines School of Marine Sciences and Research Scientist at GMRI. For fifteen years he worked for Fisheries and Oceans, Canada, at the Institut Maurice Lamontagne in Mont-Joli, Quebec, where he headed a research section studying secondary production and fisheries recruitment processes in coastal waters of eastern Canada. Jeff is interested in the linkages between climate, ocean ecosystem productivity and recruitment into the fisheries. He was research professor in the Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans and Space at the University of New Hampshire before coming to GMRI and has been involved in research associated with both the Canadian and U.S. GLOBEC (Global Ocean Ecosystem Dynamics) programs. Currently, his research focuses on the measurement and ecosystem role of variability in production of zooplankton, including larvae of commercially harvested fish and invertebrates, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and in the Gulf of Maine.
Primary Research Interests
- Linkages between climate, ocean ecosystem productivity and recruitment into fisheries.
- Measurement and ecosystem role of variability in production of zooplankton, including larvae of commercially harvested fish and invertebrates.
- Development and application of coupled, 3-dimensional physical-biological models to investigate connections among variation in ocean currents and temperature, zooplankton production, and the growth and survival of fish larvae.
- Killam Post-Doctoral Fellow, Dalhousie University
- Ph.D. Biological Oceanography, University of Washington
- A.B. Biology, Bowdoin College
Service to Science & Community
- Editor, North America and Oceania, Fisheries Oceanography (2008- present)
- Co-chair, Joint Regional Ocean and Coastal Ecosystem Health Committee, NERACOOS/ NROC (2012-present)
- Co-editor, Advancing an Ecosystem Approach in the Gulf of Maine. Gulf of Maine Symposium Proceedings, American Fisheries Society (2009-2012)
- Member, ICES Working Group on Zooplankton Ecology (2007-present)
- Member, Scientific Steering Committee, IGBP-IOC-SCOR GLOBEC (2003-2009)
- Chair, Regional Association for Research on the Gulf of Maine (RARGOM) (2003-2007)
View additional biographical information in Science - Research Staff