SUPERVISOR: Ocean Data Products Program Manager
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) pioneers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. Our scientists explore dynamic ocean systems from marine life to environmental conditions to coastal economies. We infuse our discoveries into the policy arena and design solutions with fishermen and seafood business to protect fishery resources, harvest them responsibly, and market them as premium quality food. We share our discoveries with the public and nurture a culture of leadership in communities that depend on the sea. Our education programs cultivate science literacy and build a foundation of collaborative problem-solving among our next generation of leaders, scientists, citizens, and stewards. Each year, we serve over 25,000 stakeholders from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia.
We are currently seeking a full-time Web Application Developer to join our Ocean Data Products (ODP) team.
The ODP team develops and supports web-based software and tools to access data and information about the marine environment. The Web Developer will work closely with the program manager, programmers and designers to produce web applications to meet project needs for both GMRI and external clients in the ocean observing, marine science and fisheries communities. This team shares resources and project management duties as it facilitates and implements distributed data delivery systems to the ocean observing community and stakeholders interested in marine data.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated knowledge and capacity programming web applications using industry standard programming languages, open source preferred. In addition, they will be an outstanding problem-solver with excellent coding skills, the ability to understand and work within a variety of software technologies, and the capacity to keep up to speed on industry trends and adapt to new technologies. This is a full-time 12-month position that may be extended based on funding.
- Develop data-driven web applications in a cross-platform, cross-browser environment
- Integrate data from back-end web services, APIs and databases
- Develop, deploy and maintain software code through version control systems
- Work with front end developers on implementation of UI/UX design
- Test, debug and update web applications
- Manage own project work and contribute to team goals and new project acquisition (proposal development, project scoping, etc.)
- Produce and maintain technical documentation for in-house applications (technical source code and end user functionality)
Other General Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance and routine consultation to customers and technical support regarding development functions
- Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Manage and prioritize work across multiple projects
- A Bachelor's Degree in Web Development or related field, or 3 to 5 years of equivalent education and experience
- 3+ years direct experience developing consumer-facing web applications.
- Solid knowledge and experience with the following technologies:
- Web application frameworks and environments (preferred: Drupal, Node.js, Django)
- Relational and non-relational databases (preferred: PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB)
- Web-oriented data formats (XML, JSON)
- Experience developing and implementing REST-based web services and APIs
- Experience with repository based development, preferably GIT
- Experience with object-oriented programming concepts and their applications
- Experience translating functional requirements into technical specifications and infrastructure requirements
- Experience managing application environments with cloud hosting providers
- Ability to address HTML and scripting compatibility issues between different browsers and computing platforms
- Solid written and verbal communication ability
- Ability to thrive on a team that manages multiple projects with fixed deadlines
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with integration of data from sensors and large, unstructured data sets (satellite, buoys, models) and data formats (e.g. NetCDF)
- Experience with scientific data management systems (ERDDAP/THREDDS)
- Experience developing mobile applications
- Ability to provide basic system administration for multiple servers and technologies
- Experience with:
- GIS and mapping software (OpenLayers, ESRI, Google Maps, Leaflet)
- Advanced front end visualization libraries and tools (HighCharts, D3, or similar)
- Cloud storage services (Amazon A3)
- Container application platforms (Docker)
- Authentication services
To apply for this position CLICK HERE to submit cover letter and resume. Application deadline is May 15; application review will begin after May 4. (Note that you will be navigating away from the GMRI website.) Questions should be referred to email@example.com. However, we will not accept resumes sent to this address. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
We are proud to confirm our long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist us in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept strictly confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.