Our capacity to achieve our mission is fueled by the generosity of numerous individuals, corporations, and foundations. We recognize the importance of charitable giving to GMRI’s well-being, and have established policies to ensure transparency and trust with our donors.
Gift Acceptance Policy
Due to the ever-increasing complexity of giving plans and concepts, we developed core principles and guidelines to ensure that all gifts are structured to provide maximum benefits for both the donor and GMRI.
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) has the utmost respect for the privacy of personal or proprietary information. To maintain mutually beneficial relationships with our donors, prospective donors, friends, and partners we collect and use information:
- obtained through pledge cards, letters, surveys, applications, and other forms, in writing, in person, by telephone, or electronically (including but not limited to name, address, employer, birth date, credit card number, bank information, education, family members, community affiliations, and interests).
- independently collected from various sources regarding history of philanthropic giving, volunteer activities, committee service work, information from public documents and reports, and interactions an individual may have had with GMRI.
GMRI will not rent, trade, share or sell a donor’s personal information (including, but not limited to names, mailing addresses, email addresses, or telephone numbers) with anyone else, nor will GMRI send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations.
We use third-party processing agents who meet our high standards of safety, security, and privacy (i.e. PCI compliance) to facilitate some activities including credit card processing, stock transactions, and email distribution. We use contact information (email, fax, telephone number, and mailing address) for the following purposes:
- distributing receipts and thanking donors for donations;
- sharing information on GMRI activities and issues related to our mission;
- inviting participation in events;
- internal analysis and record keeping;
- reporting to relevant Federal and State agencies (not for public inspection); and
- contacting donors about changes to this policy.
We are proud and very grateful for the generous community support we receive. It is our intention to publicly recognize our supporters by name unless the donor explicitly chooses otherwise on their pledge cards, when donating online or through personal communication with our Development staff. Comments given in donor forms and surveys or provided via email, fax, or telephone may be used in GMRI publications, unless sent to us in confidence. General, anonymous information about GMRI fundraising may also be used for promotional and fundraising purposes.
All access to personal and financial information is limited to select GMRI staff members who are appropriately trained. Additionally, Development staff may provide board members and volunteers, who require personal information for outreach and fundraising activities to advance GMRIs mission, with information on a need-to-know basis. GMRI maintains appropriate technology safeguards to protect sensitive information online and maintains security practices to protect information off-line.
The Chief Development Officer reviews this policy annually with all relevant staff, board, and volunteers to ensure clarity on the reasons for confidentiality and accessibility, and to maintain integrity within the practices of preserving confidentiality of personal and proprietary information.
|If you have further questions about our donation policies, please contact Blaine Grimes, Chief Development Officer at email@example.com or (207) 228-1655.|