Sea State Series
All new in 2022!
We are pleased to announce the 2022 summer season of the Joan M. Kelly Sea State Series, featuring experts from the Gulf of Maine Research Institute alongside engaging guest speakers representing a variety of disciplines. Together, we will explore the complexities of communicating and creating meaning around climate change. We hope you’ll join us for one or all of the following events.
- Providing the public with opportunities to have conversations with a wide range of experts from different fields.
- Keeping our communities engaged with and informed about the Gulf of Maine.
The Joan M. Kelly Sea State series breaks from the traditional lecture style to incorporate more small group discussions and other interactive elements. Attendees are invited to participate in these informal discussions with GMRI experts and guest speakers from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds.
What to Expect:
- Interactive sessions: This community event is an opportunity to explore topics and themes relevant to the changing Gulf of Maine.
- Internal and external speakers: Rather than relying entirely on a single speaker, we’ll feature a GMRI staff voice alongside one of our many partners — including fishermen, aquaculture farmers, scientists, fisheries managers, educators and others. We hope to provide a useful framework for understanding important issues related to the Gulf of Maine and some perspective from the partners we engage with on those issues.
- Reception with refreshments: Enjoy refreshments during a brief reception just before the program begins. Guests will enjoy complimentary beverages and have a brief opportunity to connect prior to the event.
- Tickets for sale: We’re asking for attendees to purchase tickets for $8 ahead of time, or $10 at the door. The price of the tickets will help pay for an improved space and program experience.
Upcoming Sea State Events
Join us and our guest speakers this summer!
Women in Climate and Fisheries: A Just Transition to a Sustainable Future
GMRI Quantitative Research Associate Carly Lovas reflects on a workshop she organized for the fifth annual Sustainable Development Goals conference in Bergen, Norway, called Women …
2022 Sustainable Seafood Impact Report
We want to keep you updated on our sustainable seafood team's progress, so we've developed a report showcasing some of their biggest achievements from 2022.
Gulf of Maine Warming Update: 2022 the Second-Hottest Year on Record
Over the past decade, scientists at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute have led a body of research that highlights the rapid pace of warming …
2022 Gulf of Maine Ventures Impact Report
Gulf of Maine Ventures is the growing business development and impact investment arm of GMRI. In 2022, we've made huge progress, continuing to grow the …